For those who regular readers of this blog (Krustaceans), you know firsthand on that I am troubled that the word conservative doesn’t mean anything anymore. The word has been hijacked and basically means Republican. I mean, how else can Rudy Giuliani and Steve King both be konservatives?
Unfortunately, we are not just fighting an internal battle to define conservatism, but the left is mounting a huge army that could crush traditional
Konsider the following:
- The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the AFL-CIO are planning to spend record amounts of money in this falls elections. The SEIU will spend $85 million this election cycle, more than it has during any similar two-year period in history, while the AFL-CIO has budgeted $53.4 million for political activity this cycle, a $5 million increase over 2004.
- MoveOn.org will raise and spend about $35 million.
- The Sierra Club has organized 450 groups across the country and claims to have 5,000 volunteers spread across 10 battleground states including
Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oregonand . Virginia
- NARAL Pro-Choice America has budgeted $10 million for the presidential and congressional races.
- Of the 10 independent groups that have spent the most this year on television advertising in the presidential campaign, eight are liberal, according to a new report by the Wisconsin Advertising Project, a nonpartisan academic study.
The information above is from The Hill Newspaper.
So what should we be doing?
We need to help those State House AND State Senate kandidates who are solid on our issues. We need new blood in the Senate and there are some excellent kandidates running like Kim Reynolds. In the House we are just a few seats (5) from taking back control, and there are great candidates to help.
In addition to those state kandidates, we also need to help our top of the ticket guys and gals like McCain, Reed and Miller-Meeks. All there of whom are Veterans and offer a nice contrast to their opponents.
I understand the need for internal change, but folks, this may be our last stand, and I’m not going down without a fight.